Council tax is a property-based tax payable on most domestic properties such as a house or a flat but can also include other types of property where people can live such as a 'granny annex' or a caravan.Your council tax funds a range of local services. Winchester City Council collects the council tax in the district on behalf of the County Council, the Police, the Fire and Rescue service and your Parish Council. Some of the council tax is kept by Winchester City Council to help pay for the services which we provide. Please see Council Tax Charges 2016/17 for more information about how your money is spent.
Manage Your Council Tax Online
You can now do the following online:
• Set up a Direct Debit
• Check your Council Tax Band and annual charge
• Tell us about a move
• Apply for, or cancel, a Single Person Discount
Also......when your Council Tax bill for 2017/18 is sent out to you in March, it will include an online key which will allow you to:
• Switch to electronic billing
• View your account details and notices
• Update your contact details
If you would like to do this before March you can contact the Council Tax section for a copy bill which will provide your online key. Please email email@example.com to request this.
- Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2016/17 The consultation for the Council Tax Reduction Scheme for 2016/17 is now closed. This consultation opens on 1st September 2015 and closes on 31st October 2015.
- Council Tax Scams Please be aware of Council Tax scams
- Empty Homes Review
- Empty Homes Review Winchester City Council has instigated a review of empty Council Tax properties. The review will be undertaken by CapacityGrid on Winchester City Council’s behalf. Update the property records for your address using the information contained in the letter from CapacityGrid
- Paying your Council Tax How much you will pay and how to pay it.
- Contact the Council Tax team Information on how to contact the Council Tax team
- Changes to Council Tax and Council Tax Benefit The Government abolished Council Tax Benefit and Councils have had to develop their own Council Tax Reduction schemes to replace it.
- Who has to pay Council Tax How it is decided who is liable to pay council tax.
- Discounts A list of all Council Tax Discounts that are available.
- Moving House? You can now complete a quick online form to let us know your details.
- Exemptions A list of all the instances where a property is exempt from Council Tax.
- Band Reductions - Valuation Office Appeal If you feel that your property has been placed in the wrong band you have the right to appeal.
- What happens if I do not pay my Council Tax? When your council tax is due and what to do if you are having problems paying.
- Guidance for Landlords Information and guidance for Landlords with occupants, empty properties and more.
- The sharing of personal data How we share information about you within the Council, with external bodies and with other Government Bodies
- Business Rates Find out about business rates and who is liable to pay.