Maintenance and Repairs

THE HOUSING QUALITY STANDARD (HQS) is designed to ensure that you are provided with a Decent Home that is maintained in good condition. Winchester City Council has set out to meet and improve upon the Government’s Decent Homes standard. Our standard is described in detail in this document.


The Council undertakes to maintain your home in a safe and reasonably weather-tight condition and, wherever possible, to provide modern facilities over and above those required by the Government’s Decent Homes standard.

We will:

• Externally inspect your home every 5 years as part of our ongoing stock survey plans
• Ensure your home benefits from a modern kitchen (less than 20 years old)
• Provide you with an efficient and effective heating & hot water system
• Insulate your home to make it more affordable for you to keep warm
• Maintain a safe and secure environment

We will always try to let you know our future plans for your home and make sure you can access this information easily and will always inform you when work is due to start.


Although the Housing Quality Standard sets out requirements for service standards, you too have certain obligations. Some repairs are your responsibility and you may be liable to pay for them if we have to complete them on your behalf. We will let you know when this is the case. We have included some of the main ones here.

We will not repair or replace your own structures, fixtures or fittings. The following list gives an idea of some items for which you are responsible:

• Replacing lost keys
• Gaining entry if accidentally locked out
• Replacing light bulbs and florescent tubes
• Appliances, plugs and their fuses
• Broken glass to windows and doors
• TV aerials where not on a communal Council maintained system
• Installation and maintenance of your own appliances. This includes connection of gas and electric cookers, which must be fitted by an appropriately registered installer. A completion certificate for the work must be forwarded to us within one week.


You can report a repair by:

• Telephoning Customer Services on 01962 848 400
• Writing to us at City Offices
• In Person at City Offices
• Download the mycouncilservices app for iphone and Android
‘My Council House’ - WCCs Self Service Portal for Tenants
• On-line form via the WCC website
• Completing a maintenance report card, available from the Customer Service Centre
• E-mail to
• Calling out of hours on 01962 865 405